Tuesday, March 27, 2007

You CAN Afford to Go Solar

I got a note from Eve Carlson who had a suggestion about what the really good news is about going solar -- you can do it with no money down! Read what Eve has to say...

"Try to get the media who cover this (and SolarCity) to "lead" with the really good news that many people can make this change WITHOUT any change in their current costs. I was hoping for that, but found it very hard to find any information that spoke to that when I searched around the Solar City web site or read your blog or articles in the papers. I think many people think they cannot afford a solar system or don't want to "pay up front" for it. I know there are a lot of variables that determine cost, but a simple way to show people what is possible is to give an "example" such as our house.

How you can keep your electricity costs the same and eliminate your electric bill in nine years!

One 2000 square foot house in MV with good sun exposure and a monthly electric bill of $150-$200 (900-1000 Kwh) got an estimate of $17,000 for a system that would eliminate all but $22 of our electricity costs. With monthly payments about the same as the usual electric bill ($212), a home equity loan for $17,000 with a rate of 7% would take 9 years to payoff."

OK, thanks Eve for sharing your numbers with the rest of us. My guess is that as a result of going solar you will find ways to eliminate the last 200 KWH per month and by 2008 your electric bill will be essentially zero!

1 comment:

ASG said...

Bruce - I just linked to your blog thru HMC InCircle (class of '94). I currently live in PHX, AZ and would love to harness some of the nasty hot sun we get down here to reduce/elminate my monthly AC costs. Any recommendations on whom to work with in PHX for Solar Panel installation?? Look for me @ HMC InCircle!