Monday, May 18, 2009

Solar for All -- Including Renters

I've recently developed a proposal that I call "Solar for All." It would make it possible for condo owners and renters to own or lease solar PV just as homeowners can.

On May 8 I met with Assemblyman Paul Fong and Monica Smith from his staff last week and they both seemed quite interested.

I would greatly appreciate feedback on my proposal. The 8-page Word document describing "Solar For All" is online here.

In a nutshell, the idea is to use "virtual net metering" to allow the solar panels to be located on a solar farm rather than on the building where the energy is used. However, the solar farm is not owned by your local utility company: the panels are owned by a for-profit company and leased to the family whose bill is being offset.

No comments: